Monday, December 14, 2009

Talking to the In-Laws

I have been on my journey since June of 09... So about 6 months. As much as some people might think I talk about what I am eating and such, I really don't talk about it much. (Some of my friends would beg to differ, haha, but I feel like I can talk to some of them about it over others). And one of the "others" would be my in-laws. They already think I am "different". I have my own opinion and I like what I like. It's not always in line with their thinking (okay, it's NEVER in line with their thinking).

So today, I met with my FIL to head down to the crown molding store, as we are making some much needed changes to our home. I dropped off my son (another story, as this was the first time alone with my MIL and SIL) and off we went. Got some great ideas, samples and went back to the house. We stood around talking about my son's milestones and things he can and can't do yet. Then my FIL asked "What is he eating now?". I smiled and told him veggies and fruit. I have tried some meats, but he doesn't really care for it. Then he asked the dreaded question: "has he had rice yet?".... Um no? hahaha... and I finally broke down and told them I will be keeping grains away from him as much as possible. The look on my FIL face was priceless. I think he was keeping every ounce of himself not to roll his eyes at me. This is also coming from someone who has IBS, horrible, horrible food issues (sensitivities) and that called this same morning and said his stomach finally settled down and he thinks he can go out to the store.

So I just stated the facts. I mentioned what grains do to my stomach after I eat them. He said "oh, maybe you have that Celiacs Disease"... I just nodded. They both didn't say too much. Which was nice. I am very interested to see how this plays out. My FIL had mentioned over the Thanksgiving Holiday that he was excited to give him Cheerios and such. Funny, my SIL was in the background biting her tongue. She is a resident at Stanford (so as a Dr., she knows everything ;) ). I could see her wanting to say something.

At least, maybe next time we have dinner over at their house, they will fore go the pasta with no protein source what so ever and give me some meat! haha

No comments:

Post a Comment