Saturday, December 12, 2009

Mom's cooking again!

I live in a home that was built in the early 60's... not an "old" home, but, when it comes to cooking, it is. The stove top in the original, as is the oven. When we first moved into the house, 8 years ago, I was in my early 20's and just married. I wanted to cook for my husband... poor thing, he suffered thru many a burnt meal. Right after we moved into the house, we also got a dog. Poor thing, he has to suffer too! haha... Every time I cooked back then, I would burn things, so, what would happen? Smoke would fill the kitchen, even when I turned the fan over the stove on... and, well, that smoke would drift into the hallway and just a minute or two later, the piercing sound of the fire alarm would ring. The dog would go running into the back of the house, pacing, thinking the end of his life was near. My husband would run and get a book or magazine and fan the alarm, while I would run around opening up windows.

Eight years later, I don't burn food... but what happens still? Yes, the fire alarm goes off all the time. *sigh*... this morning I was cooking bacon (mmmmmm bacon) and I took the seeds from my spaghetti squash last night, and roasted those this morning. And there is the fire alarm going off. Yes, the dog is still going to the back of the house and pacing. My husband is in his comfy chair playing with our son... all he does is chuckle and say "Mom's cooking again!"... My son is not even phased by this. Thank goodness. I am in the kitchen looking for the closest book, running to fan the alarm.

But, my breakfast turned out wonderful. I had 3 pieces of bacon, 3 eggs scrambled, and a handful of roasted spaghetti squash seeds. I am enjoying eating such yummy foods. It makes me realize that I really don't miss the cereals and all the carb laden foods.

So, if you are walking by my home, and you hear the fire alarm go off, don't be too alarmed... I am probably just cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment