Thursday, December 10, 2009

It's always a good time for change

A lot in my life has changed over the few years. And all for good. My marriage is great (I couldn't say this a while back), I have an 8 month old baby boy, and life is just... good.

The only thing I have struggled with, and this has been for my whole adult life, is my weight. I wanted to loose weight before I got pregnant... yeah, that didn't happen. So, I let my body recover it's six weeks after I gave birth to my son, and I got to work. I knew I couldn't continue down this road that I was on. I needed to get my nutrition under control. How does one go about that when one never had a solid foundation growing up? I had to do a lot of searching. What was truly healthy? You see doctors pushing low fat, counting calories. Or, maybe pushing weight loss pills, like my dr. did. I don't want a quick fix. Okay, okay, I would love a quick fix, but I know in reality that that doesn't work. But in the mean time, lets find some exercise that I like too... Well, I got that covered. I found a boot camp while I was still pregnant. Perfect, allow myself the six weeks and I will go to boot camp.

This boot camp has saved my life. My instructor, who is also a nutritionist, was telling us what we needed to do to loose weight... At first, I was think, "I know, I know, cut calories and fat"... ugh, not more crap I didn't want to hear. But first words out of his mouth was "You need to cut out grains"...

WHAT? Cut grains? Like Atkins? I actually did that years ago... I can do that... But wait... he went into depth. Talked about gluten, sugars and insulin. Whoa, whoa, whoa... I NEVER looked at it that way. I have family members who are diabetic, so I have a funny feeling I was on that road... but after this class I was headed down a new path. Honestly, it's nothing like Atkins... (well, to an outsider, it might look the same... but to me, it's a different logic behind everything).

I have read the Paleo book and I am now reading Primal Blueprint. In the last six months I have dropped 35lbs. Of course, I am human and I have eaten gluten here and there (um, okay, maybe there was a month that I really got off track...). And I am sure I will be human and slip up again. But today and yesterday were really good days. And even the day before that. So, I am now here to start documenting my journey on this. If I put it out there, maybe it will keep me honest. Maybe I will have others reevaluate what they want to do for their nutrition. And possibly fitness.

While in my boot camp, I was introduced to CrossFit. I. fell. in. love. My membership is up next week at the boot camp and tomorrow I am signing up for the CrossFit facility in my area. I will also be documenting my journey with this as well.

I am not a doctor. I am not a fitness professional. I am just a new mom that wants to get healthy for herself and for her family.

Starting weight: 246 (5'6")
Weight today, Dec. 10, 09: 213

I might not post everyday. But I am sure going to try weekly and also to record my weight loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment